- Sex: F
- Born: 1740 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Died: 30 JUN 1792 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI1
James Stedman married Isabel Babcock in South Kingstown in 1762. She is described as the daughter of Job and Mary in her father's will.
The Job Babcock she seems to be descended from was born about 1697 and supposedly married Elizabeth Hull, d/o Tristram, in 1717. In the LDS records for this couple there is an Isabel born about 1726-1728. I also find references in the LDS data to Job having a wife Mary but no children are listed.
Tristram Hull and Elizabeth Dyer had a daughter Mary (b. abt 1700-1702) and a daughter Elizabeth (b. abt 1717).
James Stedman was born (SK records) in 1738. He died in 1822. Isabel (Babcock) Stedman died 1792. She is presumed born about 1740, but I do not have a good source for that birth. Some LDS records also show Isabel born in 1740.
I have reviewed Rhode Island records from the FTM CD and can only conclude that Job's wife when he wrote his will was named Mary. The children mentioned in the will are named the same as the children mentioned as children of Job and Elizabeth so it is unlikely that we are talking about a different Job.
My main problems are:
(1) I believe that Job did not marry Elizabeth Hull (d/o Tristram), but instead married Mary Hull, d/o Tristram Hull. Either that or he married an Elizabeth Hull who was not a d/o Tristram (and I find no evidence to suggest that such an Elizabeth existed in the correct geographical area).
(2) I believe that the birth dates for the children of Job and Elizabeth (i.e., Mary) are estimates. I do not see any evidence that another Isabel existed at this time period in SK ,and it is unlikely that James Steadman married a woman 10 years his senior. Further, the youngest documented child was of James and Isabel was born in 1782 which is unlikely for a woman born in 1726.
Father: Job Babcock, b. 1697
Mother: Mary HullElizabeth HullMary Elizabeth Hull, b. ABT. 1700
Family 1: James Stedman, b. 3 MAY 1738 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Married: 11 NOV 1762 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Enoch Stedman, b. ABT. 1760 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Thomas Stedman, b. ABT. 1763
- Job Stedman, b. 16 NOV 1765
- Martha Stedman, b. ABT. 1767
- Anna Stedman, b. 18 JUN 1769
- Asa Wells Stedman, Sr., b. 1771
- Mary Stedman, b. 1770
- Hannah Stedman, b. ABT. 1772
- James Hull Stedman, b. ABT. 1776 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Patience Stedman, b. 1774
- Samuel Stedman, b. AFT. 1775
- Sarah Stedman, b. ABT. APR 1782 in South Kingstown, Washington Co., RI
- Title: World Family Tree, Vol. 2, Tree 3507
Media: Family Archive CD
Text: Date of Import: 30 Mar 1999
|Add a Link
Please send corrections, additions or comments to John B. Lisle
Created by IGMGet (modified by Randy Winch) Version 2.7 (Program Information)
Copyright 1996 © Tim Doyle
A component of the Indexed GEDCOM Method of GenWeb authoring.